- 4 tablespoons olive oil (high-quality extra-virgin)
- 2 to 3 vine-ripe tomatoes (chopped)
- 4 slices of Tuscan bread (cut 6-inch-wide, or any other rustic Italian loaf)
- 1 clove garlic (sliced in half)
- salt (coarse sea salt works best)
- basil leaves (fresh, chopped)
Step 1: Start by marinating the chopped tomatoes in some of the extra-virgin olive oil for about 10 minutes.
Step 2: Prepare the bread slices. (Optional: You can toast the bread slices using the oven or grill if you have one. Toast until golden-brown.)
Step 3: Gently rub the grilled slices of bread with the cut end of a raw garlic clove that you have sliced in half.
Step 4: Top each bread slice with the marinated tomatoes and a sprinkling of salt and freshly chopped basil leaves. Finish with a drizzle of the extra-virgin olive oil, if desired.
Step 5: Cut each slice in half and serve immediately. Enjoy!